Wednesday, July 05, 2006

If Only There Were Words

I've decided to take it slowly. I'm going to write a little bit (hopefully) every day until I've completely summed up my trip to Israel. This is how it began.

If there were words to describe my trip to the land of Israel I'm not sure I could convey them so that you could understand fully what I was feeling. I will, however, try my best.
Leaving the airport and boarding the plane was the hardest thing I have ever done. Forget actually going to a foreign land alone. Forget arriving there and not knowing anyone. Forget taking a cab by myself for the first time and staying on my own for four whole days. Saying goodbye to my family, not knowing what was in store for me, was the hardest thing I have ever done. I didn't cry. I showed now outward signs that I was struggling with the thought of leaving my home, but I was. I entered customs and made it through smoothly. Then I looked back one last time and waved goodbye to my parents and brother. I didn't cry.
When I finally made it to the gate and sat down I sent them one last message from my phone before I boarded the plane and took off for Israel. I found my seat, sat down, and thought long and hard about what I was doing. My dream was coming true! I was actually going to Israel! The plane took off and suddenly I couldn't get there fast enough. Eleven hours was a long time to wait. I tried to make myself sleep, to pass the time, but sleeping on planes was something I hadn't mastered. I tried listening to music and watching movies, but essentially it was a grueling eleven hours.
We did land, and it was a beautiful sight. We came up on the shore of the Mediteranian Sea and looked out over the buildings of Tel Aviv. A small boy behind me asked his sister questions while we flew over. "This is our new home," she replied. How wonderful that would be!
Exiting the plane I ran into another girl who was going on the same tour as me. We were able to brave the Israeli interrigations together. And then we headed to the Kibbutz. My adventure had only just begun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home